Learn how to make DIY shower steamers that will help make your shower even better. They use essential oils and are very safe to use and easy to make.
Winter can be a fun and magical season but it can also mean colds and stuffy heads. And when those stuffy head symptoms happen a hot shower can help and if you add some peppermint essential oils you can get even more relief.
The scent of peppermint can also be a refreshing way to wake up. For both of these reasons I love making peppermint DIY shower steamers.
They are basically bath bombs for the shower. They sit at the bottom of your shower and release a nice scent. It’s a nice way to enhance your shower experience.
You can use any scent in these shower steamers but I really like peppermint essential oils during the winter months because it’s great for your sinuses. You could also use eucalyptus or both. I personally don’t use eucalyptus because I’m allergic to it but it’s great for stuffy noses as well.
These also make a great gift. Just fill up a jar and add the directions. We usually just think about relaxing bath products to give as gifts but it’s also nice to give something that can be used in the shower.
You could also make a self-care gift basket and include these. Or if you have a sick friend fill a basket with these and other supplies to help them feel better.
You can easily double this recipe and make a bunch at a time. I like to keep them on hand during winter months and also allergy season to put them in the shower when we need them.
- 2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 2 teaspoons peppermint essential oil
- spray bottle with water
- Mix all of your dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly add the essential oils to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly spray a little water in the dry ingredients, mixing well after each spray. Water activates the citric acid and makes it fizz, adding the water too quickly will make it fizz.
- Once the mixture feels a bit like damp sand and can hold it’s shape, press firmly into your mold and let dry overnight to 24 hours depending on the size.
- Store in an airtight container.
To use your shower steamers, simply place 1-2 in the bottom of your shower and shower like normal.
More Homemade Christmas Gift Ideas
- Homemade Christmas Gifts Anyone Can Make
- DIY Gifts for Mom
- DIY Gifts for Dad
- Homemade Dog Treats Christmas Gift
Don’t forget to pick up your Christmas planner and to help you have a stress-free and magical Christmas.