Don’t let distance keep you from celebrating Christmas. Try these virtual Christmas party ideas to have fun with friends and family no matter where they are!
In today’s fast-paced world, it’s often challenging to gather in person with all your loved ones. Virtual celebrations bridge the gap, connecting family and friends from different corners of the globe. It allows you to celebrate with those you might not have had the chance to meet in person due to geographical constraints.
Additionally, virtual celebrations are incredibly versatile. You can customize your event according to your preferences. Whether you want to host a festive holiday party, a cozy family gathering, or a themed gift exchange, the possibilities are endless. Virtual celebrations provide the flexibility to tailor the event to your desires and make it as unique as you wish.
Virtual celebrations also make it convenient to include everyone. You can invite family members who might have mobility challenges, friends living in distant locations, or even international relatives without the need for extensive travel. This inclusivity fosters the spirit of Christmas, promoting the idea that the holiday season is all about spreading joy and love to everyone.
Overall, virtual celebrations offer an opportunity to embrace the true essence of Christmas while making it accessible to a wider circle of family and friends. This year, savor the delight of celebrating together, no matter how far apart you may be physically.
Virtual Christmas Party Ideas
Cookie or Gingerbread House Decorating Contest
Or you can ask everyone to make their cookies beforehand and share on the virtual call and everyone can vote on their favorites. Just make sure there are rules so it’s fair.
You could also decorate gingerbread houses. Everyone can get gingerbread house kits or you could even take it back to grade school and use graham crackers to make “gingerbread” houses.
Ugly sweater parties don’t have to be in person, throw on your sweaters, make some hot cocoa, and join your friends virtually to laugh at all the sweaters and even have a contest for the ugliest sweater. You can even do digital gift cards as prizes.
You could also have everyone put on their fancy Christmas clothes and enjoy seeing everyone virtually. The best part is everyone is at their own homes so you could go change later in the party when everyone is really to be in comfy clothes.
You could also go really comfy and have a virtual Christmas PJs party. This can be a lot of fun for the whole family, especially if you have some matching Christmas PJs.
Christmas Cocktail Party
Come up with some fun Christmas cocktail recipes to share with everyone ahead of time so they can have the items on hand to make some and get on a call to enjoy the cocktails together.
You could also have everyone just make their favorite cocktail while on the call so everyone can learn some new ones. You could even save the recipes and make a family or friends cocktail recipe book to share for future years.
Christmas Movie Night
There isn’t much better than some hot cocoa, popcorn, and a Christmas movie. There are many ways we can still enjoy that experience with others outside of our household or bubble.
This is an idea I love so much that I have a full blog post on it. You will find different ways to have your own virtual Christmas movie night as well as other fun movie night ideas.
Playing games over virtual calls is a fun way to get together. It’s something my friends and family have been doing this whole time and really love.
Not sure what you can play at your virtual Christmas party? Here are some fun ideas.
- Christmas Pictionary. Using the whiteboard option on Zoom you can play Pictionary with a Christmas theme.
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt. Use screen sharing and share a list of Christmas-themed items and have everyone race around to find them. When the time is up the person with the most items wins.
- Christmas Bingo. Send everyone a printable bingo sheet ahead of time and get on a virtual call to play together. This is a great family-friendly option.
- Christmas Trivia. Have someone be the host and ask Christmas trivia questions and everyone can write down their answers and at the end, the winner can get a digital gift card or another fun prize.
- Christmas Charades. Write down a bunch of Christmas-themed prompts and send them to everyone before the call. Then take turns acting things out and guessing.
- Christmas Would You Rather? Create different scenarios that have a Christmas theme to them and read them off while everyone takes turns answering.
- Christmas Never Have I Ever. You can have a list of questions ahead of time like “I’ve never regifted a Christmas gift” or each person can just take turns saying something they have never done. This can be family-friendly and you can just hold up your fingers and put one down for each thing you have done or you can make it a drinking game and take a drink every time you have done one of the things.
- Christmas Buzz Words. Take common holiday phrases like elf, snowman, and tree, and make them a drinking game. Every time during your gathering that someone says one of these words you have to take a drink.
Buy a Christmas game pack featuring all of these games!
Virtual Christmas Potluck
If potlucks are a common tradition with your family you can still have something similar at your virtual Christmas party. Everyone makes a meal to eat during the call and when you get on you show your plate and talk about what you made.
Then everyone can share their recipes, this can just be via a group email or you could have one person get all the recipes and turn them into a Christmas recipe book to enjoy for years to come.
A Visit From Santa
If the kids are sad about missing out on seeing Santa this year have a virtual visit with Santa. There are many places where you can get personalized video calls from Santa. You could play it on screen share it with the whole family or even see about asking Santa to come to your video call. You can hire Santa or ask a friend to help.
Sing Christmas Carols
If you have a musical family you could all sing carols together or even play carols on instruments together. If your family isn’t musical see about hiring a local musician to perform. They are struggling right now with their gigs being canceled so this is a great way to have some Christmas fun and enjoy some Christmas music.
Send a Goodie Box
Put together little goodie boxes for everyone to enjoy during the virtual Christmas party. If everyone lives in the same town you could drop the boxes off contactless on porches or if you aren’t needed by you could mail them ahead of time.
Some things that are fun to include-
- Hot cocoa mix
- A Christmas mug
- Christmas snacks
- Christmas activity sheets for kids
- Christmas coloring books
- Photo props for your call. Everyone can use theirs while people screenshot to get fun virtual Christmas party photos.
- Gift cards
Virtual Christmas Card Exchange
Have everyone create fun Christmas cards to share using screen share or holding them up during the call. Everyone can create physical cards to share or use programs like Canva to make digital cards.
Sharing Christmas cards doesn’t seem to be as common now so this is a fun way to see lots of cards without people having to actually send them out.
Christmas House Tours
I’m a firm believer in decorating your home for you and your family to enjoy but it is a bit sad to not be able to show it to other people. But you still can!
Each person can take a turn showing everyone around their house or you could even create short videos ahead of time to show during the call.
The key to having fun this Christmas will be creativity. Talk to your friends and family and brainstorm ideas like the ones in this post. You are sure to find fun things to do all season long.
Don’t forget to pick up my Christmas game printable pack for a really fun virtual Christmas party or in-person parties as well.