If you love Oreos you need to try this Oreo hot cocoa bomb recipe. It’s a delicious hot cocoa treat and also makes a fun gift for a hot chocolate lover.
As a hot cocoa lover myself I’m a big fan of the hot cocoa bomb trend. It’s such a fun way to drink hot cocoa and create lots of different flavor combinations.
Recently I shared Irish cream hot cocoa bombs and now I have another fun variation with these Oreo hot cocoa bombs. This version is kid-friendly.
You can easily make these into a wonderful gift for a friend. Pair with a cute mug and it’s the perfect gift. You don’t have to wait for Christmas, all winter long these are great gifts.
HOW TO MAKE Oreo Hot Cocoa Bombs
You’ll want to gather your supplies. You need semi-sphere silicone molds, microwave-safe bowl, spoon or large pastry brush, small plate, pastry piping bag or ziplock bag, a ziplock bag for crushing the Oreos, and a rolling pin. Don’t forget your ingredients as well, hot chocolate mix, Oreos, white chocolate wafers, and mini marshmallows.
Once you have your chocolate melted you will coat the inside of your molds with two coats, freezing the molds between coats.
While your chocolate molds are in the freezer you can go ahead and crush your Oreos in a ziplock bag using a rolling pin or meat mallet.
Then it’s time to fill your molds and stick them together by heating the edges slightly. Then drizzle the hot cocoa bombs with more white chocolate and sprinkle with Oreo crumbs.
Now you have delicious hot cocoa bombs ready to go! All you need to do is pop one in some hot milk and enjoy. You can always top with extra marshmallows or some whipped cream for an extra special treat.
- Put a large plate into the freezer.
- Pour the white candy melts into a bowl, and heat in the microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring well after each heat session, until the candy is fully melted.
- Add a small spoon full of melted candy to all of the mold cavities, then coat the melted candy around the mold, making sure to get all the way up the sides. Place candy-coated mold into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Repeat step 3 for the second coat of candy, then transfer the unused melted candy to a pastry or ziplock bag.
- Place cookies into a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin or meat tenderizer to crush the cookies.
- Remove the chilled plate and candy-coated mold from the freezer. Carefully remove each candy-coated sphere from the mold and place it on the chilled plate.
- Heat the small plate in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Put one half-sphere upside down on the heated plate to slightly melt the candy-coated edge.
- Fill it with 1 tablespoon cocoa mix, a few mini marshmallows, and some cookie crumbs.
- Repeat step 9 with another half sphere and adhere the two together. The melted candy should fuse them together nicely, but if not, just use your finger to add a little chocolate around the seam.
- Reheat the bagged candy if needed, then snip off the end and drizzle candy over each cocoa bomb, and add more crushed cookies.
- To serve, place the cocoa bomb into a mug, then pour 6 ounces of hot water or milk over the cocoa bomb. Stir well and enjoy!
You can use any chocolate sandwich cookie you'd like for this recipe. You can even make this a gluten-free tree by using a gluten-free option.